Welcome to “Meals and Messages,” a Bible program designed for kids that explores key Bible passages through the theme of food.
Our program is divided into two main parts:
- The first five sessions focus on understanding the problem of sin and the solution provided by Jesus.
- The following seven sessions delve into practical aspects of Christian living such as God’s faithfulness, obedience, personal relationships with Jesus, and the inclusive invitation to God’s Kingdom.
The Key Verse for the program: “Taste and see that the LORD is good;” – Psalm 34:8
Overview of the Program
The First five sessions begin with the problem of sin and gradually move towards the solution provided by Jesus.
- Adam and Eve Eat the Fruit (Genesis 3): The problem of sin.
- The Last Supper (Matthew 26:17-30): Jesus died for our sins.
- Breakfast with the Risen Jesus (John 21:1-14): Jesus is alive.
- The Prodigal Son’s Feast (Luke 15:11-32): God rejoices when we return to Him.
- Jesus Dines with Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-10): Jesus calls us to follow Him.
The following 7 sessions build on what has been learned and introduces practical aspects of Christian living.
- Manna and Quail (Exodus 16:1-36): God’s faithfulness in providing for the daily needs of His people.
- Daniel’s Vegetables (Daniel 1:1-17): God honours when we commit to following His ways.
- Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42): The importance of spending time with Jesus.
- Elijah and the Widow of Zarephath (1 Kings 17:7-16): God’s miraculous provision in times of need.
- Esau Sells His Birthright (Genesis 25:29-34): The consequences of impulsive decisions and valuing our blessings and inheritance.
- Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand (Matthew 14:13-21): The power of God to work through our limited resources.
- The Parable of the Great Banquet (Luke 14:15-24): The invitation to God’s Kingdom.
How to Use the Program
Whether you’re planning a classic 5-day Vacation Bible School (Holiday Club), looking for a comprehensive 12-week curriculum, or organizing a church retreat or camp, “Meals and Messages” is designed to be versatile and adaptable. The flexible structure allows you to organize and implement the sessions in a way that suits your unique setting, time allowances, and resources.
What is included:
Each session in the “Meals and Messages” program has been designed to function as a flexible toolkit that can be adjusted to accommodate various settings, time allowances, children’s abilities, and available resources.
Each session includes the following components:
- Bible Lesson Talk Guide: This guide includes an object lesson and an activity that ties directly to the Bible story. The guide is designed to help you lead the children in understanding the passage and its application.
- Easy-to-Read Bible Story: Based directly on the Bible text, this is a child-friendly rendition of the story, written in a language that is accessible and engaging for young learners.
- Chef Skit Script: This script features two chefs who interact in a modern setting, helping to translate the application of the lesson to real-world scenarios kids can relate to.
- Worksheets: Four educational and fun worksheets are provided for each session. These offer a range of activities that reinforce the lesson and allow children to engage with the material in a hands-on way.
- Group Games: Two group games per session are included, designed to make learning fun and collaborative.
- Colouring Pages: Featuring scenes from the Bible passage, these colouring pages offer a creative way for children to connect with the story.
- Meal Recipe: Each session includes a meal recipe related to the Bible passage, providing a tangible, multisensory connection to the lesson.
- Craft Ideas: Two craft ideas per session are included, often with templates provided. These offer hands-on reinforcement of the lesson and a take home reminder of the lesson.
- Memory Verse Activities: Each session features learning activities centred around a key Bible verse, making Scripture memorization fun and engaging. There are also Bible verse memory cards for the children to take home.
Download “Meals and Messages”
The “Meals and Messages” program is in a zip file of 28MB, which you’ll need to download and unzip to access the PDF files inside.