In this lesson we will explore the parable of the hidden treasure found in Matthew 13:44-46, and we’ll find out that Jesus is the best treasure! The parable shows us that absolutely NOTHING can compare to the precious, incomparable joy of being in a relationship with Jesus and part of God’s family.
- Jesus is the Greatest Treasure.
- Jesus helps us understand things with parables.
- Following Jesus brings joy.
Lesson Guide – The Hidden Treasure
Jesus often told stories to help people understand important things. Talk about stories you’ve heard and what they can teach us, e.g., the story of the tortoise and the hare. You may also illustrate by reading a book without allowing them to see the pictures. Now, read the book and allow them to see the pictures. Discuss how reading the book and seeing the pictures made it easier to understand than listening alone.
Read the story of the hidden treasure from Matthew 13:44-46. Ask the children what they think the story is about. Encourage them to share their thoughts and listen to what they have to say.
What is the greatest treasure that you and your child can think of? Talk about treasures. You may look up some online photos of jewels, gold, etc. Talk about your child’s biggest dream. Discuss what they would give up to obtain it.
You may choose to illustrate this in a more concrete way. Give the child a few snacks. Then bring out your child’s favourite treat. Ask the child if they would change the snacks they have for the amazing treat. Explain that even though the snacks might taste good, and the child probably likes them, the snacks couldn’t compare to their favourite treat which taste so much better.
You can explain this further with giving a child an option to do an activity they like or an activity they love. Explain that they are giving up something good for something better.
Say that Jesus is the Greatest Treasure that we can have. He saves us and gives us eternal life. The man in the parable was willing to give up all he owned for the sake of the great treasure. Talk about how the man in the story gave up his possessions to achieve a far greater thing.
Give an example of a time you gave something up to follow Jesus. Maybe a hobby that was distracting you from following Jesus or a club which stopped you attending church. You can also talk about missionaries who give up their home to serve Jesus in another land.
Talk about how the man felt when he gave up all his possessions. He felt joy. Discuss how your child felt joy when giving up the minor snacks to obtain the best treat.
Remind the child that whatever we give up for God, He will reward us with a far greater treasure.
Read John 3:16 and 2 Corinthians 9:15. Talk about how Jesus is the greatest gift.
The Hidden Treasure – Bible story for kids
Games and Activities
Set up a small digging area in your backyard or a sandbox.
Hide small treasures (such as plastic coins or jewels) in the digging area and have the children search for them with shovels or sand toys.
Practise counting with the child to see how much treasure they found.
Ask how they feel when they found the treasure. Remind them how excited the man in the parable was to find the treasure in the field.
Treasure Map Scavenger Hunt
Get your little ones excited for an amazing Treasure Map Scavenger Hunt! All you need are a few simple supplies and a bit of creativity.
What you’ll need:
- A map or poster indicating the location of the treasure(s).
- Small items with stickers or markers to indicate each location on the map.
- A reward for when all the items on the map have been found (e.g. candy, toys, etc).
What to do:
1. Draw a treasure map with locations marked where your kids will find their clues. Be sure to pick places they can easily access and that are safe to explore.
2. Place small items at each spot that relate to the clue, such as a rock, flower, sticker or coin (be sure these are age appropriate). Have your kids search for all the items according to their clues on the treasure map.
Treasure Matching Game
Cut out pictures or use toys of different treasures (such as gold coins, diamonds, and pearls) and have the children match the pictures or sort by type or colour.
Free Bible Coloring Pages – The Hidden Treasure
The Hidden Treasure Chest Craft
What you need:
- Template pages (on card for best results),
- Colouring equipment,
- Glue Stick,
- Optional: Tissue paper or treats.
What to do:
- Colour the template pages.
- Cut out the treasure chest and glue together. Place tissue paper or treats inside.
- Use a ribbon to close the lid.
Treasure Map Craft
What you need:
- Large piece of paper or cardboard,
- Stickers or other decorative materials (optional),
- Tea bags or coffee grounds,
What to do:
- Rip around the edges of the paper.
- Have the kids decorate the treasure map with crayons.
- To make the map look old, mix together a small amount of tea or coffee grounds with water and apply.