Naaman was a highly respected commander of the Syrian army, honoured by his king and held in high esteem by his fellow citizens. Despite his accolades and successes on the battlefield, Naaman bore a personal struggle; he was a leper.
BIBLE READING: 2 Kings 5
KEY VERSE: “Then Naaman and all his attendants went back to the man of God, stood before him, and declared, “Now I know for sure that there is no God in all the earth except in Israel. So please accept a gift from your servant.”- 2 Kings 5:15
DOWNLOAD THE FREE PRINTABLE LESSON
BIBLE STUDY NOTES FOR TEENS
OVERVIEW OF THE PASSAGE:
- Naaman, an important Syrian army commander, has leprosy. (2 Kings 5:1)
- Israelite slave girl says Elisha can cure him. (2 Kings 5:2-3)
- Elisha sends a message telling Naaman to wash in the Jordan River seven times. (2 Kings 5:10)
- Naaman is initially angry and disappointed. (2 Kings 5:11-12)
- His servants persuade him to follow Elisha’s instructions. (2 Kings 5:13)
- Naaman washes seven times in the Jordan and is healed. (2 Kings 5:14)
- Naaman returns to Elisha, acknowledges the God of Israel, and offers gifts. Elisha declines. (2 Kings 5:15-16)
1. OBEY GOD EVEN WHEN IT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE – 2 KINGS 5:12
2. POINT OTHERS TO GOD – 2 KINGS 5:2-3
3. OBEY GOD IN THE BIG AND LITTLE THINGS – 2 KINGS 5:13
4. GOD’S LOVE AND MERCY ARE FOR EVERYONE – 2 KINGS 5:1
Read full notes in the pdf lesson
YOUTH GAMES AND ACTIVITIES – Naaman
SEVEN TIMES IN THE JORDAN RIVER RACE
Materials needed: Seven hula hoops.
- Hold up the hula hoops in a straight line, representing the Jordan River.
- Players must step through each hoop without touching the sides.
- After stepping through all seven hoops, they race to the end.
- The fastest participant to complete the race without touching the sides of the hoops wins.
- Discuss the significance of obeying God’s precise instructions, just like Naaman did.
GOD’S DIRECTIONS DICE GAME
Materials needed: Large dice, challenges/tasks written on cards.
- Each side of the dice corresponds to a challenge card.
- Players roll the dice and perform the task written on the chosen card. Foe example: Card #1 (Easy): Say a book of the Bible. Card #2 (Difficult): Think of 15 words which start with the same letter.
- After everyone has had a turn or multiple turns, gather together.
- Discuss how sometimes we can’t predict God’s directions, but we still follow them, regardless of the perceived difficulty or simplicity of the task.
MUD RIVER ART
Materials needed: Brown paint, paper, paintbrushes.
- Create an art piece that represents the muddy Jordan River.
- As they paint, encourage reflection on the significance of the Jordan River in Naaman’s healing.
- Share artworks.
Highlight the idea that God’s ways may not always align with our expectations or understanding.